There are only a handful of states that allow their citizens to make money processing motor vehicle transactions and fortunately for you Pennsylvania is one of them.

If you live or work in the Commonwealth, you have the opportunity to become an agent on behalf of PennDOT.

PennDOT provides drivers licensing and motor vehicle services to the public through full agents, card agents and messengers.

Out of the three types of agents, a card agent provides the most minimal services on behalf of the department.

However, if you only want to expand your notary services without taking on to much responsibility becoming a card agent may be for you.

Becoming a PennDOT Card Agent

A card agent can issue temporary registration cards in connection with the transfer of an existing vehicle registration plate.

As an example:
Jake wants to transfer his existing registration plates from his car to his truck.

Carmen, the card agent, can complete the transfer of registration form and issue a temporary registration card.

If Jake wants to register a new vehicle, Carmen would not be able to provide that service.

However, the advantage of becoming a card agent is that it is relatively simple to get started. To become a card agent you will only need to meet the following requirements:

  • Be a Commissioned Notary Public
  • Pass a Criminal Background Check
  • Post a $3,000 Surety Bond

The surety bond is issued on behalf of PennDOT and does NOT protect the you. If you violate the terms of your agent service contract and cause financial harm to a citizen, PennDOT can use the bond to repay the citizen. You would then be required to repay the bond company. The average cost of a bond is between $100 – $300 dollars and remains active for three years.

Card agents must also maintain a physical location and have a plan to secure temporary registration cards

Card agent contracts are good for three years.

See Card Agent Contract Below